Now 16 years ago, we started our brewing journey as homebrewers. We submitted our fair share of beers to competitions, and we with every award and judge response, were able to refine our recipes and evolve our beers to commercial scale. We released our first scaled home-brew recipe (1776 IBA) in 2011 at SF Beer Week, and it was amazing to have our friends and family see what we could do.
We want to pay this experience forward and host our first annual LOCAL LIGHTHOUSE home-brew competition. This year, we’ll only be taking entries in the IPA style, and we’ll be brewing the winning recipe in both West-Coast IPA and East Coast (Hazy) IPA styles on our 10bbl system for release and feature during SF Beer Week 2018!
We’ll feature a West Coast and Hazy IPA version of the winning recipe during two events during SF Beer Week 2018.
• All entries must be IPA styles — session, single or double IPAs only (no triples or quads). Specialty IPAs with adjuncts are also allowed. NOTE! Must include hop varietal and hop schedule for consideration. Winning IPAs may require substitution of hop varietals and/or yeast strain due to availability for a commercial-size brew. Choose hop varietals and yeast strains that are readily available for best recipe replication potential.
• Entries due by Friday, Jan 5 2018. We’ll announce the winners via email by Fri., Jan 12.
• Grand Prize Winner will have the option to refine and brew the winning recipe the week of Jan 15 for release and feature during SFBW 2018
• First, Second and Third Places will receive ribbons and prizes.
• Full Official set of rules can be LocalLighthouse_Rules2017_18
• All entries must be from non-commercial/professional brewers
• All entrants must be 21 years or older
• All entries must be IPA styles — session, single or double IPAs only (no triples or quads). Specialty IPAs with adjuncts are also allowed. NOTE! Winning IPAs may require substitution of hop varietals and/or yeast strain due to availability for a commercial-size brew. Choose hop varietals that are readily available for best recipe replication potential.
• Entries must be RECEIVED between November 20th, 2017 and January 5th, 2018 to be eligible for competition.
• Entries must be delivered to:
Attn: Local Lighthouse Competition
LOCAL BREWING CO.
69 Bluxome Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
• Cost: $10 for each beer entered (make checks payable to Local Brewing Co.). Each entry must have completed entry form (linked here)
• Send three (3) 12oz bottles per entry (one for first round and one for second round); no identifying marks on bottles or caps. Bottles must have bottle ID form (linked here)
• We’ll be using the 2015 BJCP style guideline as a reference, but hazy IPAs may be submitted for equal consideration
• Full Official set of rules can be downloaded here:LocalLighthouse_Rules2017_18
• Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions